|Bonus||Killer of Cyrus|
|Ability||People of the Steppe|
|Unit||Saka Horse Archer|
|Civ First Look|
History[edit | edit source]
Tomyris assumed leadership of her group of nomadic pastoral tribes in 530 BC upon the death of her husband, the current chieftain. Her exploits were mentioned in the works of several great ancient writers such as Herodotus, Strabo, Polyaenus, Cassiodorus and Jordanes.
The most notable story about Tomyris involves the Persian ruler Cyrus the Great and his efforts to invade and subjugate Tomyris' people. Cyrus and his troops planted an unattended camp with a healthy supply of wine in Scythian territory. The Scythian army, led by Tomyris' son, stumbled upon the wine and, unfamiliar with the intoxicating effects of alcohol, drank themselves into a stupor. After, the Persians attacked the incapacitated army and kidnapped Tomyris' son.
Tomyris, enraged, challenged Cyrus and another battle ensued; however, this time Cyrus and his forces were defeated, suffering a great many casualties including Cyrus himself. After the death of Cyrus, Tomyris had his corpse beheaded and crucified, and shoved his head into a wineskin filled with human blood. During this act, Tomyris is quoted as saying, "I warned you that I would quench your thirst for blood, and so I shall."
However, some scholars question this version, mostly because Herodotus admits this event was one of many versions of Cyrus's death that he heard from a supposedly .
Intro[edit | edit source]
All people will tremble with fear and respect you, great warrior Queen Tomyris. For it is from the back of your stallion that you shall look upon and lead the Scythian people. Great epics will be told of the horse warriors that ride forth from the steppe, and at the front line of every battle - they will find you. Ride on, fierce queen, and may your friends be true just as your enemies falter.
Leader bonus[edit | edit source]
Leader agenda[edit | edit source]
Honorable Warrior / Backstab Averse - She likes Civilizations who become her Friends, hates Civilizations who backstab her or declare Surprise wars on her.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Næ fequyston - mači zӕhæd gadzræxatæj racæugæjyl tug nyuuardzæn. Fælæ kæd æcæg æmbal dæ-uæd balymæn uydzystæm (May nobody say that they didn't hear - blood will be spilled of those who turn against us. But if you are a true friend then we'll become friends.)= Greetings
- Næ adæmtæ nikuy ma uydysty tyxdžyndær. Biræty banthysti sabyrdzinady ræstægmæ(Our two nations have never been stronger. May you have many victories in times of peace.)= Backstab Averse, Agreed
- Æncojdzinad u sæxi xorzæx, næ jæ zydtaj?(Loyalty is its own reward. Do you not know this?)= Backstab Averse, Disagree
- Dy Tomirisy zærdæxudty bazydtæ æmæ nyr bafiddzynæ!(You have betrayed the trust of Tomyris and now you will pay!)= Declared war as Defender
- Paddzax dyn dæ sær agury. Dæ tudžy anyqldzynæ!(The Empress calls for your head. You will be drowned in your own blood!)= Declared war as Attacker
- Us paddzax fembældis. Fælæ mæn bahuydy kændzysty, dæu ta?(The Empress falls, but I will be remembered. Will you?)= Defeated
Trivia[edit | edit source]
Media[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Civilization VI: Tomyris Leads Scythia on civilization.com